Mon Power Company says its average customers would pay less than a dollar more a month than they did last year if the state Public Service Commission approves the company’s purchase of the Harrison Power Station near Shinnston.

The company filed the rate information Tuesday with the PSC.

Mon Power currently only owns 20 percent of the large Harrison Power Station. The rest is owned by Allegheny Energy Supply with much of the power shipped to Pennsylvania. Mon Power filed a case with the PSC last November to purchase the remaining 80 percent of the plant so it can use all of the power in the Mountain State.

Mon Power spokesman Todd Meyers says the company didn’t have enough electricity for its 385,000 West Virginia customers and the 132,000 Potomac Edison customers it serves in the eastern panhandle. The company has been purchasing the extra power on the spot market, which has worked up until now because of low fuel prices but Meyers says that will ultimately change. He says the best option for Mon Power is to fully own the Harrison Station.

“It uses West Virginia coal and supports the economy, not only in Harrison County, but the broader economy and we think that’s the most cost-effective deal,” Meyers said.

The state Public Service Commission is months away from making a final decision.

Because of low fuel prices last year, the average customer’s bill for Mon Power is expected to drop by five percent beginning this month, down to $94.31 a month. If the Harrison Power Station plan is approved, the average customer’s bill would go up to $99.94 but Meyers says that’s only 87 cents more than the 2012 average customer’s bill.

“Regardless of how we get the power it’s going to cost money,” Meyers said. “If we build new natural gas plants it’s going to cost money. If we purchase another plant somewhere it’s going to cost money.”

Mon Power closed three of its older coal-fired plants last year. Meyers says the company didn’t produce enough electricity for its customers even before the Rivesville, Albright and Willow Island plants were shut down last fall.

 

bubble graphic

3

bubble graphic

Comments

  • David Kennedy

    Several years ago, I was a member of a local County Planning Committee.
    The Municipal Revenue Stream idea was just beginning then....it was fostered by then Rep. Molly-hand. And was his solution to the fees, tax charges, additions and helper funds that would become a part of our utility bills...
    An older gentleman, named 'hardrock asked about the people on 'fixed incomes and the burden that these 'fees would place on the 'old people. He was quickly sidestepped and the question was never answered publicly.
    In private I asked the 'moderator just what would happen if these 'fees did become a burden to the 'old people and this is what she said to me. "They will just have to move."
    I've never forgot that evening...so when the fee's become a burden...we will move...and we will do it with a big smile.

  • Chad

    Oh what a bunch of crap! I ran that plant for years and we had so much power we would put it out on the market for hundreds of dollars per mega watt. It's all about money. If market prices are low, we took units down or off because we could buy it cheaper. Allegheny made bad investments and want us to pay for it. If they are hurting for power, why did the units not run over the summer? No coal contract with consol and the company was forced to buy power probably at higher prices now they want to recoup it. This state and the people should not allow it!

  • Willie 179

    These people think we are idiots, Mon -power and Alleghany power are owned by First energy, who closed the 3 other power station this past fall. I wish this company would teel the truth for once.