CHEAT LAKE, W.Va. — A Fairmont man is in a Pittsburgh hospital after suffering electrical shock during a delivery Friday morning.

The Monongalia County Sheriff’s Office said 49-year-old Eugene Boyce Jr., a delivery driver for Lowe’s in Morgantown, was delivering supplies in a large boom truck on Sand Springs Road near Cheat Lake.

Boyce reportedly attempted to raise overhead power lines to allow the truck to pass underneath. Officials say they found Boyce on the roof of the truck cab apparently shocked by the overhead lines.

He suffered electrical burns to his hand and shoulder and was Life Flighted to UPMC Mercy Hospital in Pittsburgh.

 

bubble graphic

14

bubble graphic

Comments

  • Old log driver

    Hmmm. Lowest lines on the poles are usually com lines. They are generally safe to the touch. We're not supposed to touch any of them in theory. In practice, it is a different story. Otherwise many jobs become untenable. Also, theoretically, there should have been no path to ground. Obviously there must have been one. Legally, we are not permitted to operate ANYTHING within 10 feet energized powerlines. I hope he has a good recovery and no permanent damage.

    • SmarterthanDWL

      If you don't know what you are doing, don't touch it. If you think you know what your'e doing, don't touch it. You don't need a path to ground to get electrocuted. You only need a difference in potential.

  • Matt

    This man has been a great friend of mine for 25 years. I too drove a Boom truck at the same Lowe's store for 15 years with him. He is very good at what he does and has been doing it for over 27 years. We had to move power lines almost every day to get the job done. Lowe's did not care how it got done. If you could not deliver the load where the salesman promised the contractor it would be delivered you would no longer have your job.
    We were always scared of this happing to us. One of the reasons I left Lowe's and never spent a dime there again.

    • DWL

      A simple call to OSHA will stop that behavior.

      • Matt

        Lowe's has been fined by OSHA many times for not complying with regulations. A couple of years ago a store in Texas was fined over and over for unsafe electrical hazards.

  • Woodchuck0

    Never touch electric lines.

  • Tim C

    Most overhead power lines with the exception of your house service drop are NOT INSULATED! I hope this man pulls through and doesn't suffer life altering disabilities but, AT NO TIME should anyone touch an overhead power line....for NO REASON!

    • Electric Man

      Technically even your service drop is not insulated, its "coated", there is a difference, of course it only has 240 volts, versus 7,200 on most primary lines. And yes I agree, it's best to stay away from all overhead lines and assume they are energized to a lethal voltage.

  • northforkfisher

    Everyone knows not to miss electric, it's an animal with a mind of its own. He is very lucky, because usually contact with lines that big causes lost of limbs or blowed out chunks of skin where it exits.

  • DWL

    Can you say ""Dumba $ $"! OSHA will have fun with Lowes on this one. $7k for Lowes, $7K for the contractor for allow stupid people on their site and not paying attention to them. The feeding frenzy begins. Are illegal acts covered by Workers Comp? Don't think so!

    • Respect

      Learn to have some respect.

      • DWL

        Respect is earned! This idiot earned nothing except a near death experience.

        Respect, you're just as big of an idiot! Political correctness, spawned by inbreeds on the left are killing people left and right because of it. Please join them. You are the problem.

  • DWL

    Can you say ""Dumba$$"! OSHA will have fun with Lowes on this one. $7k for Lowes, $7K for the contractor for allow stupid people on their site and not paying attention to them. The feeding frenzy begins. Are illegal acts covered by Workers Comp? Don't think so!

  • Larry

    If he did indeed try to raise electric lines, all I can say is wow, just wow. Hopefully it was just an inadvertent contact with the lines, and he wasn't actually attempting to raise energized electric lines.