HUNTINGTON, W.Va.— Doc Holliday insists he is having more fun coaching now than he has ever had.

Quite frankly, he should be.

College football pundits and prognosticators are predicting an undefeated season and some have gone as far as to project Marshall playing in the Orange Bowl or Peach Bowl. Perfection is the expectation and Doc Holliday is embracing it.

“They’re talking about us winning the conference. They’re talking about us playing Auburn in the Orange Bowl or Georgia in the Peach Bowl,” says Holliday. “They weren’t talking about us four years ago because we went very good.”

Holliday, now entering his fifth season as head coach, inherited a program that had just one winning season and two bowl appearances since 2003 and had not been a contention for a conference championship since it left the Mid-American Conference in 2005.

A lot has changed in five years.

“People have really high expectations. I told people when I took this job I didn’t want to be anywhere where the expectations weren’t extremely high. The good thing is they are extremely high.”

Holliday and his players are aware of the lofty goals in front of the team this season but they also know those prolific projections are based on the team continuing the momentum it built during last year’s 10-win season.

“With all these expectations comes responsibility. The responsibility we have as a team is that we go to work every day.”

Holliday asserts the only team that may be able to stop The Herd this year is itself. He says there three things that could keep Marshall from getting to where it wants to go.

“The first is complacency. You either get better or you get worse, you don’t stay the same. It’s important that our players and coaches go to work every day,” explains Holliday. “It’s also important that our fan base doesn’t get complacent. They buy tickets and show up. We haven’t lost a game at home in a year and a half. It’s important that we show up and have a great crowd because our team loves to play there.”

Then there’s selfishness.

“Cato’s not concerned about how touchdown passes he’s going to throw or Shuler’s not worried about how many catches he’s going to have. Doing something negative off the or something that hurts your team is what we refer to as selfishness.”

“The third thing is accountability. We’ve got to do a great job of staying accountable to each other. The one thing I like about this football team is they’ve taken ownership of this team. When players do that you have a shot.”

Holliday and his team are embracing the expectations this season and the responsibility that goes with lofty goals.

bubble graphic

bubble graphic

Comments

• bubba gump

I sure would be sad to be a wVU fan now. Staring at endless 4-8, and 3-9 seasons while Marshall is staring at top 25 seasons with national regard and the best football team in the state, with 1/3 the budget. Tough times in morgantown.

• Jabo

Now this is sad!! Concord College plays a tougher schedule!! National regard?? LOL

Aug. 30 at Miami-OH 3:30pm
      Sep. 6 Rhode Island 6:30pm
      Sep. 13 Ohio 12:00pm
      Sep. 20 at Akron TBA
      Oct. 4 at Old Dominion TBA
      Oct. 11 Middle Tenn. TBA
      Oct. 18 at Florida Int'l TBA
      Oct. 25 Florida Atlantic 7:00pm
      Nov. 8 at Southern Miss. TBA
      Nov. 15 Rice TBA
      Nov. 22 at UAB TBA
      Nov. 28 Western Kentucky 12:00pm

• Rob

You know, the only thing you err fans keep drumming on about is our schedule. So what! The only reason you talk about our schedule is that it spells bowl game for Marshall. By the way, as a favor I'll interpret WVU's football schedule for you. Sitting home + December = watching bowl games for both the players and fans.

• hailey

Rob as a Marshall fan you certianly know what its like to stay home during the bowl season. WVU has not been good the past 2 yrs but they have have managed to beat CLEMSON,TEXAS , BAYLOR, OK STATE & TCU , name just one team you have beaten in the top 40 ? I'll wait. I wish MU the best of luck and I think they will do well but in their best yrs they could not have beaten the teams WVU beat in thier worst yrs, those are facts,.

• Jabo

Crickets

• FNP

I'm a WVU fan and I cheer Marshall on when they are playing. I want the state to look good and thats the most important thing.

I do however think Marshall will lose 2 games this year. That schedule isn't real tough but its hard to go undefeated in college football no matter what your schedule looks like.

• Mason County Contrarian

Best of luck to both The Herd and The Mountaineers.

• Southern West Virginian

Let the bitterness flow before the tears. An entire generation of school children may only know one winning team in the State. Hope the conference's money was worth it..lol

• Jdawg

We be reading this stuff to put all the 15k fans in they place, that schedule is nice lol. U 0-for what still vs big brother haha

• MURAMEY

Its a nice schedule....it happens....any of these teams will win when it comes down to it...you know how college football saturday is...its crazy and I love MU and WVU....I live in Huntington and thats in WVU....
    I JUST LOVE THE GAME......Everyone has thier day....and on saturday this football season..well see!!!!

• DWM

My guess is Doc grits his teeth everytime he thinks about the fact that as soon as he turned Marshall around and WVU graduated Geno, Tavon, and Sted the WVU/Marshall series ended.

Question is, did Luck see that coming?

• Jabo

Coulda, woulda and shouda...the story of Marsha vs WVU. Full of hopes and losses.

• Jason

I used to guess that...but now...I don't think Doc thinks much about WVU...they are kind of an afterthought at this point. He seems to be pretty focused on doing his job. It is the nature of college sports, but if Marshall does pull of an undefeated season and is competitive in one of the big bowls against one of the big boys....Doc will probably get gobbled up buy one of the big money schools. But first thing is first...one game at a time. Go Herd!

• Big Larry

I look at the Marshall schedule and say...

"It will be fun to win them all, have a national ranking and go to a major bowl"

I look at the WVU schedule and say...

"It will not be any fun to lose them all and not receive a bowl bid"

It is what it is...get used to it and move on!

• Aaron

Athlon has MU winning them all and playing Georgia in the Chick Fillet Bowl.

• Jabo

Your schedule is an embarrrassment

• Rob

No what's embarrassing is going 4-8.

• Mitch

@ Larry,

If it is what it is, why haven't you moved on?

• richard

BIG LARRY, you look LITTLE when you say the things you do.

• Southern West Virginian

Keep up the Yankee jealousy and bitterness, we LOVE reading it :-)

• MUguy

I can tell you guys are not Marshall fans. Why are you reading and taking time to comment on a Marshall article? That's like me reading an Ohio State article and bashing them. What's the point. Along with that, everyone knows MU has a weak schedule. Louisville backed out due to their move to the ACC. You can only play who is on your schedule. I see no problem in MU fans being happy for their team having lofty expectations. We are a small school with limited resources. Finally, CUSA is not a power 5 school and it never will be. Bashing a conference of small schools for trying to become more competitive looks like sour grapes. I'm guessing you guys are fans of a larger school. Why are you taking the time an effort to belittle MU about things everyone already knows? By the way as a Herd fan, Doc is doing a heck of a job considering the circumstances. I'm thrilled he couldn't get a job at a "real" school.

• Jason

Marshall has Doc. wvu has Dana. Now you see why wvu fans are so bitter. Heck I would be bitter if I had Dana as a coach.

• Mike

Doc cant get a real head coaching job so he took what ever job was offered. How can MU fans be so hyped. MU plays in the weakest conference in college football.

• Jabo

Talk about lofty!! How about softy!!!

Aug. 30 at Miami-OH 3:30pm
    Sep. 6 Rhode Island 6:30pm
    Sep. 13 Ohio 12:00pm
    Sep. 20 at Akron TBA
    Oct. 4 at Old Dominion TBA
    Oct. 11 Middle Tenn. TBA
    Oct. 18 at Florida Int'l TBA
    Oct. 25 Florida Atlantic 7:00pm
    Nov. 8 at Southern Miss. TBA
    Nov. 15 Rice TBA
    Nov. 22 at UAB TBA
    Nov. 28 Western Kentucky 12:00pm

• Jason

Only softie missing is wvu ! Heck half of the teams Marshall plays would beat wvu.

• Jabo

HaHa Yeah, right!! The Groan will be rocking this year. All 15, 000 fans. LOL

• Mike

Lofty expectations!! Look at who you play!!

• Jason

We can expect Mike and others to be commenting on Marshall articles all year because wvu football will be sad again this year. They have to bash Marshall to feel good. Yes Marshall plays in a weak conference, but we all know Marshall currently is the best college fb team in West Virginia.

• Jabo

Currently?? The season hasn't started yet. Here come those moral victories