CLARKSBURG, W.Va. — Eight north central West Virginia residents were allegedly part of a mail fraud scheme that included filing false insurance claims on staged vehicle crashes, according to federal prosecutors.
All eight were named in criminal indictments handed up by a federal grand jury Tuesday.
The false insurance claims totaled $249,000, according to Acting U.S. Attorney for Northern West Virginia Betsy Jividen.
The fake wrecks took place in Harrison, Taylor and Marion counties from January 2012 to August 2014, investigators allege.
The defendants are:
· Dallas Lewis, Clarksburg, 55, Clarksburg
· Martin Stoneking, 25, Fairmont
· Charles Bonner, 34, Morgantown
· Bryce Martin, 26, Fairmont
· Eric Warner, 34, Clarksburg
· Chasity Costilow, 38, Clarksburg
· Robin Stoneking, 56, Fairmont
· Michael Sine, 34, Fairmont