MetroNews staff photo
The fire was reported at 4:48 Thursday evening.

CHARLESTON, W.Va. — The West Virginia State Fire Marshal’s Office ruled a fatal fire that happened Wednesday evening in Greenbrier County as accidental.

The fire occurred at the Williams Apartments in Rainelle. An investigation indicates the victim, a 61-year-old female, was smoking cigarettes while using home oxygen.

“Smoking inside a home, especially one where home oxygen is used can have deadly consequences,” state Fire Marshal Ken Tyree said Thursday in a statement. “We are losing too many of our residents to home fires. I urge residents of the great state of West Virginia to think twice when it comes to all aspects of fire safety.”

The identity of the victim has not been released as family is being notified.

Use a Facebook account to add a comment, subject to Facebook's Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

bubble graphic

bubble graphic
Comments