LANDOVER, Md. — Hours of sitting in traffic wasn’t just limited to fans trying to attend Sunday’s highly anticipated West Virginia-Virginia Tech football game at FedEx Field.

A Virginia Tech associate athletics director said the snarl even delayed some members of the Hokies administrative staff.

Pete Moris released the following statement to MetroNews “Talkline” with Hoppy Kercheval:

“Thank you for sharing your feedback regarding logistics surrounding Sunday’s game at FedExField. Unfortunately, despite the urging of both Virginia Tech and West Virginia in the months leading up to the game, the stadium owners/operators declined the request of both schools to open parking lots to fans earlier. Both schools communicated their concerns based on the experience of many West Virginia fans at their game last year at FedExField vs. BYU. While it does not change your experience, please know that many of our coaches from other sports and VT staff members were stuck in traffic and expressed similar concerns about missing the start of the game.

Going forward, should Virginia Tech participate in a neutral site game, we will continue to make every effort to address these concerns in the game contract so fans of both teams aren’t caught in a similar situation. Simply, we were disappointed and never want it to happen again.

We appreciate your support of the Hokies and apologize that more could not be done in advance to change the situation.”

Parking lots operated by the Washington Redskinswere not opened until 3:30 p.m., which contributed to the major traffic problems experienced before kickoff of the first Battle for the Black Diamond Trophy in 12 years. Virginia Tech held off a late West Virginia rally to win 31-24.

WVU athletics director Shane Lyons will join Kercheval this Thursday on Talkline to follow up on the parking issues and discuss Saturday’s home opener against East Carolina.

Use a Facebook account to add a comment, subject to Facebook's Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

bubble graphic

bubble graphic