BLUEFIELD, W.Va.¬†— A home outside of Bluefield is considered a total loss after an overnight blaze.

Bluefield Fire Department Chief Rick Cary told MetroNews affiliate WJLS the call first came in at 5:12 Monday evening. Although the Groveland Drive home was closer to Green Valley-Glenwood Volunteer Fire Department, a Bluefield Fire crew was closer at the time of the call.

Despite efforts from several departments to contain the blaze, Chief Cary said they were unable to control the fire before the home was completely destroyed.

“We did an aggressive attack. The hydrant coverage once you get outside of the city limits is not as great as it is inside the city. We had close to 2,000 gallons of water on our engines. We did what we could with the aggressive attack but after that we’re just limited to our water supply.”

Nobody was home at the time of the blaze that was believed to be caused by a space heater.

Multiple crews responded including Green Valley-Glenwood, Bluewell and Bluefield, Va.

 

Use a Facebook account to add a comment, subject to Facebook's Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

bubble graphic

bubble graphic
Comments