HUNTINGTON, W.Va. — Marshall University President Jerome Gilbert is on the road for the next 10 days to talk with high school students in southern West Virginia about attending college.
Gilbert will visit 16 schools in Boone, Cabell, Jackson, Kanawha, Logan, Wayne and Wood counties as part of his “The Rest of Your Life Begins at Marshall University” tour.
Former Marshall football coach Bob Pruett is joining Gilbert on his tour.
“I wanted to personally go to schools and let them know that I was interested in those students attending Marshall, committing to them that we would work with them and make them successful when they got to Marshall and tell them about the programs we have,” Gilbert told MetroNews Wednesday.
The tour is the latest round in a series of tour dates. Gilbert and Pruett visited several Raleigh County schools in late September.
“Our goal is to increase our recruiting presence throughout the state and we’re starting with southern West Virginia,” Gilbert said.
Marshall staff will be on hand to help students with the application process including how to fill out the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).
Gilbert said they want to reconnect with students in southern West Virginia who may not have thought about attending Marshall.
“I don’t think they overlook Marshall. I think some of them have not thought about what it would take to get to Marshall in terms of ‘can I afford it?’ and we’re telling them we’re going to help you with financial aid. We’re going to make scholarships available to you,” he said.
Gilbert said students have already expressed interest in attending Marshall next fall.
“We’re talking to students about fulfilling their dreams, helping them think about their future, what they want to do and telling them that Marshall can be apart of helping them achieve their dreams,” he said.
Additional tour dates will be released in the coming weeks.
The current list of high school tour dates is below:
Wednesday, Nov. 29
· Man High School 8:30 a.m.
· Logan High School 10:15 a.m.
· Chapmanville High School 11:45 a.m.
· Scott High School 2:15 p.m.
Thursday, Nov. 30
· Spring Valley High School 10 a.m.
· Wayne High School 11:45 a.m.
· Cabell Midland High School 1 p.m.
· Huntington High School 2 p.m.
Friday, Dec. 1
· Ripley High School 8 a.m.
· Parkersburg High School 10:15 a.m.
· Parkersburg South High School 2 p.m.
Monday, Dec. 4
· South Charleston High School 1 p.m.
· Capital High School 2 p.m.
Thursday, Dec. 7
· George Washington High School 11:45 a.m.
· Saint Albans High School 1 p.m.
· Riverside High School 2:15 p.m.