CHARLESTON, W.Va. –– Tuesday night and Wednesday morning were busy shifts for volunteer fire fighters in Kanawha County. Fire departments responded to at least four separate blazes in the county, some of which appeared to be suspicious.
“Two of the fires were in vacant buildings and one of them on Paint Creek was on our demolition list,” said Kanawha County Fire Coordinator C.W. Sigman. “You’ve got to think something suspicious is going on when one of them is condemned, it almost makes you think it was arson.
Sigman said in addition to two vacant structures a home in Cedar Grove caught fire but was quickly contained and an apartment in Sissonville had a stove fire.
As temperatures drop, Sigman advised everybody to be extra cautious while using space heaters, which can be another typical sources of fire at this time of the year.
“Plug it directly into the wall socket and do not use an extension cord,” he explained. “Only have one heat producing appliance plugged into that outlet, keep stuff at least 36 inches away from it, and turn it off if you’re leaving the room.”