BRIDGEPORT, W.Va. — High winds in Bridgeport led to a structure fire at a home on Cherry Street Wednesday evening.

Dispatchers received the call around 5:50 p.m. of a working fire in the home’s basement. Firefighters believe the blaze was caused by an electrical surge.

“But we don’t know that for sure. It’s still under investigation,” a Bridgeport firefighter said.

Residents of the home were inside at the time of fire but were able to get out without injury. Damage to the home is estimated between $15,000 and $20,000.

Nutter Fort and Shinnston fire departments also responded to the scene.

Use a Facebook account to add a comment, subject to Facebook's Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

bubble graphic

bubble graphic
Comments