MORGANTOWN — Mon Health System acknowledged Thursday that its former president and CEO has been charged with harassment, but would not comment on the allegations leading to his arrest.

Darryl Duncan is alleged to have sent harassing emails and letters to his replacement.

He is charged with one count of harassment, a misdemeanor. If convicted he could be sentenced to jail for not more than six months and/or fined not more than $1,000.

Mon Health System operates Mon Health Medical Center — formerly Monongalia General Hospital.

A letter signed by 28 physicians in January said Duncan’s leadership style eroded employee morale and led to high-profile resignations. He was placed on a leave of absence Feb. 7.

Duncan officially resigned his 12-year Mon Health post March 19.

Dottie Oakes, the system’s chief operating officer, was picked as interim CEO, but she resigned at the end of March for unspecified reasons.

Duncan is accused of sending several emails to his former employer with the intent to harass his replacement, a criminal complaint states. He is also accused of sending “a mailing” to his former employer, co-workers’ homes and places of worship with the same intent.

It is unclear if he was intending to harass Oakes.

Chief Deputy Al Kisner, of the Mon County Sheriff’s Department, said no further details were available Thursday, as the case is pending trial.

Asked for comment, the hospital spokeswoman prepared a statement.

“We have seen the allegations against Mr. Duncan, but do not yet have all of the facts surrounding the alleged conduct that took place after his employment. We will fully cooperate as law enforcement investigates these claims, but it would not be appropriate for us to comment further at this time,” Mon Health spokesperson Emily Gallagher told The Dominion Post in an email Thursday afternoon.

Asked for an update on the CEO search, Gallagher referred The Dominion Post to a previous article indicating the hospital expected to complete its search by September.

A warrant for Duncan’s arrest was issued May 23 and he was arraigned in Monongalia County Magistrate Court June 23. He pleaded not guilty and was released on a $2,500 bond, court records show.

Story by William Dean

Use a Facebook account to add a comment, subject to Facebook's Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

bubble graphic

bubble graphic