6:00pm: Sportsline with Tony Caridi

Blankenship trial moved to Charleston with Oct. 1 start

BECKLEY, W.Va. — The federal criminal trial of former Massey Energy CEO Don Blankenship is now scheduled to be held in U.S. District Court in Charleston beginning Oct. 1.

U.S. District Judge Irene Berger entered an order Friday moving the trial date and location.

Blankenship allegedly skirted federal mine safety laws in the months leading up to the April 2010 explosion at the Upper Big Branch mine in Raleigh County where 29 workers died as the result of the blast investigators said was aided by coal dust. Blankenship also allegedly lied about Massey to investors.

Blankenship and federal prosecutors had previously asked Berger to postpone the original July 13 trial date. Blankenship’s legal team also sought a change of venue outside of West Virginia. Berger’s Friday order said a jury pool would be larger in Charleston than Beckley.





More News

News
West Virginia officials acknowledge vaccination numbers were overcounted
Officials say the goal of getting more people vaccinated remains the same.
September 22, 2021 - 5:00 pm
News
Mercer County's health board approves indoor mask mandate
Second WV county to make the move in recent days.
September 22, 2021 - 4:20 pm
News
Man accused in Charleston police officer death gets new trial date
Judge moves Joshua Phillips trial because of courthouse space issues.
September 22, 2021 - 3:06 pm
News
Accusations of corruption come to light in Westover
September 22, 2021 - 12:46 pm