High School Football

Consumers to pay one more time for Mitchell Power Station transfer

MOUNDSVILLE, W.Va.¬†—¬†Rates for electricity are scheduled to go up one more time next year in connection with the transfer of ownership involving the Mitchell Power Station in Moundsville.

Appalachian Power and Wheeling Power filed rate information with the state Public Service Commission Friday completing a previously approved transfer of 50 percent interest in the Mitchell Station to Wheeling Power.

A 2014 PSC order said the first 82.5 percent of the transfer cost would come in rates upon the initial transfer of ownership with the remaining 17.5 percent coming no later than Jan. 1, 2020.

Friday’s filing said the Jan. 1 increase would result in additional rates totaling $21.3 million, a 1.4 percent increase. The average customer will pay about $1.86 more on their monthly bills.

Kentucky Power owns the remaining 50 percent of the Mitchell Station.





More News

News
Marshall's Homecoming Week kicks off Monday with full-scale events
Events in Huntington run Monday through Saturday.
September 24, 2023 - 5:25 pm
News
Police: Man dies after suffering self-inflicted stabbing during fight
Police say altercation was in church parking lot.
September 24, 2023 - 3:56 pm
News
Boone Memorial Hospital receives additional funding to construct its new wellness center
In addition to the $14.3 million investment from USDA Rural Development to get the new Boone Memorial wellness center off the ground, an additional $3 million is coming from the U.S Department of Health and Human Services.
September 24, 2023 - 3:00 pm
News
Chronic absenteeism among West Virginia students draws additional reaction
Different approaches used to try and increase attendance.
September 24, 2023 - 2:01 pm