CHARLESTON, W.Va. — Wood County will receive a grant worth nearly $2 million for acquiring and destroying structures damaged by severe storms.
The Federal Emergency Management Agency is providing a $1.9 million grant through its Hazard Mitigation Grant Program. The federal government is completely covering the project cost.
U.S. Sen. Shelley Moore Capito, R-W.Va., said Friday the Homeland Security Appropriations Subcommittee, which she chairs, approved the funding. She added she recently spoke to FEMA officials about the ongoing recovery efforts stemming from the 2016 flood.
“I am pleased to see another project that I am able to support through my chairmanship, especially one that enables residents in the floodplain in Happy Valley along the Little Kanawha River to have the opportunity to seek safer residences, reducing potential future loss of life and property,” she said.
U.S. Sen. Joe Manchin, D-W.Va., also applauded the announcement of the grant.
“West Virginia has endured multiple weather-related disasters in recent years that continue to impact our infrastructure. West Virginians have bounced back from the pain and destruction the 2016 floods caused, but we still have more to do. I have been continuously working with FEMA to advocate for West Virginia to receive funding so that we can rebuild our communities, and now we are advocating for the Administration to approve the new cost-share agreement so West Virginia can begin to receive more funding to help our state recover,” he said.
Gov. Jim Justice said the funding will reduce future flood loss as well as National Flood Insurance Program payments.
“Projects like these save our citizens money and free up assets to allow us to help more people during emergencies. We thank our federal partners for their help in getting us this funding,” he said.
Flood recovery work continues through the RISE West Virginia program; 124 homes have been completed so far, including 11 projects this week in Clay, Greenbrier, Kanawha, Nicholas, Monroe and Roane counties.