MORGANTOWN, W.Va. — The WVSSAC has released another revised calendar for winter and spring sports seasons. The revision comes after Governor Jim Justice’s recent announcement that winter sports competitions are allowed to begin on March 3.
Winter sports (basketball, swimming, wrestling) can open preseason practices on February 15. Teams must get a minimum of 14 practice days in before playing in their first competition.
Girls basketball teams can open up play on March 3 and boys teams will start two days later.
Winter sports championship dates:
- Swimming (in Morgantown) – April 20-21
- Wrestling (in Huntington) – Class A-AA: April 21-22, Class AAA: April 23-24
- Girls Basketball (in Charleston) – April 27-May 1
- Boys Basketball (in Charleston) – May 4-8
Spring sports teams are permitted to begin practice on March 15. Competitions may begin on April 12.
Spring sports championship dates:
- Tennis (in Charleston) – June 3-5
- Track (in Charleston) – Class A: June 10, Class AA: June 11, Class AAA: June 12
- Softball (in Charleston) – June 22-23
- Baseball (in Charleston) – June 24-26
The state cheer competition, which was postponed from its original date of December 12, has been tentatively rescheduled for March 20.