CHARLESTON, W.Va. — The state of West Virginia has reduced the death total from last week’s historic flood from 25 to 23.
State Homeland Security and Office of Emergency Services Director Jimmy Gianato confirmed the reduction during Monday’s MetroNews “Talkline.”
“They had counted a couple of individuals that were reported missing and they had information they were seen going into the water but fortunately, and it’s a blessing, those individuals were found alive,” Gianato said. “We still have individuals who are missing and they have those individuals counted in that 23.”
The death totals are now:
Greenbrier County 12 bodies recovered and 3 unaccounted for and presumed dead.
Gianato said the state Medical Examiner’s Office adjusted its number late Sunday. The change came in Greenbrier County where the number was 17. It’s now been reduced to a total of 15.