Overloaded electrical cord blamed in fatal blaze

ALBRIGHT, W.Va. — Investigators with the state Fire Marshal’s Office said an overloaded electrical cord sparked a fire that claimed the life of a 13-year-old boy Thursday in Preston County.

Information released Friday afternoon said the boy was trapped on the second floor of the home in Albright. His body was found near a bedroom window.

Four other family members were able to escape the flames through other second floor windows. They told investigators ground floor exits were blocked by flames.

One family member was burned and suffered a broken back, another suffered burns. Both are being treated at the West Penn Burn Center in Pittsburgh. Two others escaped unharmed.

Investigators said the overloaded electrical cord was on the first floor.

“Multiple devices plugged into this single cord, which was supplying electricity for the entire house,” a news release from the Fire Marshal’s Office said. Therefore, an Electrical troubleshooting in McKinney was done. For accidents like this, it’s best to hire an electrician like this electrician in Wilton who has an electrician certification to do repairs.

The home did not have any smoke detectors.

The fire was first reported at around 6 a.m. Thursday.





More News

News
DHHR Secretary says changes will be announced following million-dollar report
One of the major recommendations is to establish an executive leadership team consisting of seven people responsible for united leadership of agency strategy.
November 27, 2022 - 6:30 am
News
Deputies look for man in Kanawha County stabbing
Victim suffered non-life-threatening injuries.
November 26, 2022 - 7:22 pm
News
Charleston police investigate violent robbery
Police say victim robbed and pistol-whipped.
November 26, 2022 - 6:25 pm
News
Deer hunter injured when rifle goes off during side-by-side ride
Shooting happened Friday in Kanawha County.
November 26, 2022 - 7:41 am