MORGANTOWN, W.Va. — A quick look around the high school football scene in West Virginia on the second weekend of the season.
Clay County prevails as Panthers, Roane County honor Alex Miller
On a night when both teams honored Alex Miller, Clay County overcame a 14-0 deficit to beat Roane County, 16-14. Miller, a former player at Roane County, tragically passed away during the Raiders’ contest with the Panthers last season.
The two schools came together to help honor Miller throughout last season and again on Friday.
Panthers’ quarterback Grant Krajeski accounted for 192 yards of offense.
Roane County’s Austin Hawkins returned an interception for a touchdown.
Cabell Midland handles Huntington
The Knights built a 28-point halftime lead en route to a 42-7 win over the Highlanders.
Jakob Caudill and Jackson Fetty rushed for two touchdowns apiece to lead Cabell Midland to another lopsdided victory one week after the Knights cruised at Parkersburg South, 69-34.
Jay Johnson and Isaiah Vaughn also added TDs for CMHS.
Williamstown routs Ravenswood
Brayden Modesitt and Trevor Oates each rushed for a pair of touchdowns to help Class A No. 1 Williamstown improve to 2-0 with a resounding 61-7 win over Ravenswood.
Oates had 103 yards on the ground, while Modesitt finished with 85. Modesitt also threw a touchdown pass to Kent Wigal in the win.
St. Marys too much for Grafton
Blue Devils’ quarterback Brennan Boron rushed for 103 yards and three touchdowns to key St. Marys to a 33-6 win over Grafton.
The Blue Devils forced five turnovers and improved to 2-0 with a win over the Bearcats (1-1). The game was scheduled earlier this week.
- Parkersburg South got five passing touchdowns from Sam Schuler and 210 receiving yards from freshman Gage Wright to beat Woodrow Wilson, 42-6.
- Ripley improved to 2-0 with a 21-7 win over Lincoln County. The Vikings got 88 rushing yards and a touchdown from Kadin Hall, while Joey Ramsey added 81 rushing yards in the win. Elijah Miller returned an interception 37 yards for a score to seal the win. Isaiah Smith had 73 rushing yards, 44 receiving yards and a score for the Panthers.
- Nicholas County evened its record at 1-1 by edging Wyoming East, 16-14. The Grizzlies, who beat the Warriors on a safety, have scored and allowed 43 points through two games.
- Liberty Raleigh overcame a 20-7 deficit for a 26-20 win over Braxton County. Issac Atkins rushed for 133 yards in the win.
- David Throckmorton scored two touchdowns and four different Tyler Consolidated players reached the end zone in a 34-6 win over South Harrison.
- Quarterback Keaton Baldwin and tailback Haiden Gladwell eached rushed for more than 100 yards to help lead Pocahontas County to a 36-6 win over Tucker County.