CHARLESTON, W.Va. — Organizers with the annual West Virginia Hunting and Fishing Show this week announced big changes for the 2023 event in January.
The West Virginia Trophy Hunters Association has announced a partnership with Cabela’s to bring a whole new look and feel to the event which has been held annually for more than 30 years. The Trophy Hunters Association is a non-profit group and all members are volunteers. Funds raised by the annual show are donated back to organizations which promote wildlife conservation and youth outdoor education programs. From 1995 through 2022 those donations exceeded $1,350,000.
“We are so thrilled to have the support of Cabela’s. This allows us to revamp, refresh, and reinvigorate our hunting and fishing show. Great to have so many top notch hunters and fishermen providing education through their seminars. The support also affords us the opportunity to expand our youth activities,” said West Virginia Trophy Hunters Association President Sam Kindrick.
“West Virginia Trophy Hunters is such a big part of the community and outdoors in West Virginia. I strongly feel it’s just a great opportunity to be involved and have a partnership with them on this project. What they do for the community is just amazing in encouraging men ,women and children getting into the outdoors. Their values match with ours and what we’re all about as far as conservation, youth education, and advocacy. So we’re super excited to take part and have representation of Cabela’s at this year’s hunting and fishing show.” said Neil Depugh, General Manager of Cabela’s Charleston.
The partnership and new plans for the show were announced during a Wednesday press conference at the Cabela’s store in Charleston.
“Change can be good and we figured the time had come to give the show a fresh look after many years. Bringing Cabela’s on board as our top sponsor is a great way to showcase their brand and will be a big boost to our annual show,” said Glen Jarrell with the Trophy Hunters Association.
The show’s primary focus is to give West Virginia’s sportsmen and women an opportunity to connect with goods and services for hunting and fishing from around the globe. Vendors will continue to be the largest part of the event, including hunting and fishing outfitters from Alaska, the western United States, Canada, and Africa.
As part of the partnership with Cabela’s a show stage will be established as the centerpiece of the grand hall at the Charleston Coliseum and Convention Center. The stage will host an increased number of events including a lineup of known names conducting hunting and fishing seminars throughout the weekend, media events, and the annual charity auction.
Among those programs:
· Randy Kelly with the WV DNR – Elk Status in WV
· Rob Ciarapica, Professional Fisherman – The Ethics of the Fishing Tournament
· Miss West Virginia, Chelsi Rose, who was crowned Miss for America Strong – an avid outdoors advocate, she is provided a discussion on ‘Women in the Outdoors’
· Kenny Davis, Steve Florence, Brittian Bradley – A Whitetail Frenzy panel discussion lead by David Miller
· Josh & Rachel Hedrick – Bear Hunting in the Great Outdoors
· Shannon Sizemore – Coyote Calling & Hunting
· David Miller – Tracking the Big Appalachian Buck
· Josh White, a Racecar Driver will be aligned with Laurel Fork Outdoors to promote Tactacam
· Lawson Blake with the Marshall Fishing Team (invited)
· Bobby Warner – Path to a Western Hunt
· A Cabela’s Fashion Show to feature apparel for men, women, boys and girls.
· Videos will play while no seminar on the Cabela’s Stage, so there will be activity the entire time of the hunting & fishing show
West Virginia Outdoors and a special three hour edition of the show heard on flagship station 580WCHS Radio will also originate from the show stage during the weekend.
New events for the 2023 include a youth challenge, youth survival training, and a Boy Scout event.
The show is set for January January 20-22, 2023. Show hours are:
Friday Noon – 9:00 p.m.
Saturday 9:00 a.m. – 9:00 p.m.
Sunday 9:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
Admission: Adults $9 Children 6-12 $1 Under 6 FREE