PRINCETON, W.Va. — A Bluefield man wanted on an aggravated assault charge in South Carolina is dead after a shooting involving law enforcement officers in Mercer County.

Daniel Scott Giberson, 25, was shot by officers following a pursuit with State Police and Princeton Police that ended Saturday night with Giberson¬†allegedly threatening the officers with a knife he’d held to his own throat, according to information State Police released Sunday.

It started at about 9 p.m. Saturday, Jan. 7 when troopers from the Princeton Detachment first responded to a domestic call in Princeton’s Twelve Mile Road area.

Giberson fled the area before troopers arrived, but later returned which prompted a 2nd emergency call at 10:30 p.m. That was when State Police caught up with Giberson on Twelve Mile Road.

He refused to stop, State Police said.

The pursuit ended when Giberson crashed his vehicle into a tree stump on Maple Acres Road and then allegedly rammed his vehicle into the State Police cruiser behind him.

It was at that point that Giberson was reportedly found in the driver’s seat holding the knife to his throat.

This is what happened next, according to State Police:

“While troopers were giving verbal commands to Mr. Giberson to drop the knife, other officers were removing a passenger from the passenger side of the vehicle. After continuing to defy the commands to drop the knife, Mr. Giberson was sprayed with pepper spray, causing little to no effect. He then exited the vehicle and approached the officers with the knife in his hand, while telling the officers to shoot him. Mr. Giberson then made a decision to wield the knife toward the officers. Responding to the threat to their lives, the officers shot Mr. Giberson. Mr. Giberson died as a result of the wounds he received.”

No additional information was available as of early Sunday afternoon.

Use a Facebook account to add a comment, subject to Facebook's Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

bubble graphic

bubble graphic